The Ways Of The Bushwalker: On Foot In Australia - Melissa Harper
Australians have always loved to step out in nature, whether off-track or along a marked route. Bushwalking – an organised long-distance walk in rugged terrain that requires maps and camping equipment, or a family day out – is one of our most popular pastimes. This landmark book, now updated, was the first to delve into its rich and sometimes quirky history.
From the earliest days of European settlement, colonists found pleasure in leisurely strolls through the bush, collecting flowers, sketching, bird watching and picnicking. Yet over time, walking for the sake of walking became the dominant motive. Walking clubs proliferated, railways organised mystery hikes attended by thousands, and Paddy Pallin established his equipment business. Bushwalking – serious walking – was invented.
Whether you are inclined to put on your walking boots and pack your sleeping bag, or would rather stay in a luxury hut, this surefooted and witty book reveals how the ordinary act of walking can become extraordinary.
Dimensions: 23.4 x 15.3cm
flat rate shipping
- We offer $10 flat rate shipping on all orders within Australia.
- Please contact us for a shipping quote.
- Spend $100 and shipping is FREE!
- For a limited time we are offering free local delivery in the following areas:
2026 | bondi beach | north bondi | tamarama
2022 | bondi junction | queens park
2023 | bellevue hill
2024 | bronte | waverley
2025 | woollahra
2028 | double bay
2029 | rose bay
2030 | dover heights | rose bay north | vaucluse
2031 | clovelly | randwick
2034 | coogee
^select free local delivery at checkout #yourewelcome x
free click & collect
- Free click & collect service from our Bondi Beach store available Monday to Friday (except public holidays). Select the pick up option during checkout and you’ll receive a notification when it’s ready, usually within 24 hours.